TU Delft
Year
NEDERLANDSENGLISH
Organization
Education Type
Education print this page print this page     
2018/2019 Technology, Policy and Management WM look at TBM Electives
WM0824TU
Economics of Cyber Security
ECTS: 5
Module Manager
Name E-mail
Dr.ir. C. Hernandez Ganan    C.HernandezGanan@tudelft.nl
Responsible for assignments
Name E-mail
Dr.ir. C. Hernandez Ganan    C.HernandezGanan@tudelft.nl
Co-responsible for assignments
Name E-mail
Prof.dr. M.J.G. van Eeten    M.J.G.vanEeten@tudelft.nl
Contact Hours / Week x/x/x/x
x/0/0/0
Education Period
1
Start Education
1
Exam Period
1
2
Course Language
English
Expected prior knowledge
Basic statistics
Course Contents
With a significant increase in high-profile data breaches and cybersecurity threats in the last couple years, it is critical for businesses to learn about the costs and investment decisions around securing their online systems. While many businesses think of cybersecurity as a technical problem, this course broadens that view and shows that security failures are caused as often by bad business decisions and incentive systems as by bad technical design.

This course provides an introduction to the field of the economics behind cybersecurity. It will provide you with the economic concepts, measurement approaches and data analytics to make better security decisions, while helping you to understand the forces that shape the security decisions of other businesses, products and services.
Study Goals
The student will:
-Gain a sound understanding of the economics of cybersecurity as a systems discipline, from security policies (modelling what ought to be protected) to mechanisms (how to implement the protection goals).
-Obtain skills in collecting and analysing data on information security issues
-Gain insights into the design of effective policies to enhance and maintain cyber security must take into account a complex set of incentives facing not only the providers and users of the Internet and computer software, but also those of potential attackers
-Learn to apply economic analysis and data analytics to the open issues and pending activities in cybersecurity.
Education Method
Edge edx will be used for communications and distributing study material.

The course will consists of 5 weeks of intensive theory (2 hours twice per week) after which students will perform their own EconSec study.

During the period in which students are working on their study, students will have the opportunity to discuss their experiences and possible bottle-necks with the group and instructors.
While performing their own research students will have access to a forum via which students can discuss possible bottlenecks and exchange tips. The instructors will closely monitor the discussions and join when appropriate.
Assessment
The assessment will be based on data assignments where the students should apply the core concepts of the course in practice. At the start of the course, students will choose an empirical security issue to analyze during the next 5 weeks. There will be 3 groups assignments and 1 individual assignment. The group assignment will account for 40% of the final grade. The individual assignment will account for the other 60% of the final grade.

When a final report is graded lower than 6, students have one month to improve the report for re-submission. The maximum grade after re-submission is 6.
Enrolment / Application
A maximum number of 20 students will participate in the course.